George Jay Gould Mansion
The Georgian Court estate was built by George Jay Gould, railroad tycoon, at the turn of the twentieth century and bought by the Sisters of Mercy for their college in 1924. Constructed in 1897, the Mansion, our campus showpiece, has been meticulously maintained and restored over the years to preserve the grandeur of the Gould’s Gilded Age.
Its soaring Great Hall is host to many special events for the university, from honor society induction ceremonies to fundraising soires and theatrical shows. The dining and music rooms provide equally lavish, if more intimate, meeting spaces, and the glass-roofed conservatory now serves as a luminous chapel. The upper floors of the four-story mansion served as student dormitory space for a time but now are home to some of the sisters.