Learning Management System Transition
from Angel to Blackboard
Georgian Court University has transitioned from the ANGEL Learning Management System to Blackboard Learn. Beginning with All Summer 2015 sessions and going forward, All courses will be in Blackboard.
Blackboard Mobile App
Blackboard Learn Mobile App is Free for GCU users. The App is available for iOS and Android platforms. Go to either the Play Store or iTunes to download the App. Search for Georgian Court University and login with your network credentials.
Note: While there are many great features available on the mobile app, GCU does not recommend taking tests or quizzes on a mobile device such as a smart phone or tablet. This is important to prevent possible connectivity issues between your device and your wireless carrier.
- The transition will take place in phases from Fall 2014 through May 26, 2015.
- ANGEL will continue to run concurrently with Blackboard until May 25, 2015 and then ANGEL will be no more at GCU.
- Blackboard will be supported by the GCU Help Desk.
- Blackboard will provide better mobile device support.
- Content from ANGEL courses can be migrated to Blackboard courses.
- Blackboard will provide a means to access publisher and other content not compatible with ANGEL.
- A teaching pilot will occur fall 2014 to work out bugs.
- Faculty will be trained 2014-2015 beginning in August. Visit http://www.georgian.edu/technology/workshop_schedule.htm for more information.
- Migration of ANGEL course content will begin in advance of when faculty are scheduled to move over to Blackboard and will be completed by May 26, 2015 (Summer Session 1).
- The order of the migration will be announced later.
- April 2014: Official project kick-off
- June 2014: Faculty Training for Online Institute and Faculty Pilot members
- August 2014: Pilot Courses on Blackboard
- August 2014 through Spring 2015: Faculty Training of 1-2 days
- May 26, 2015 (Summer Session 1): all courses now on Blackboard Learn
- June 30, 2015: LAST day to access Angel. After this date, users can only access Blackboard for courses.
Blackboard @ GCU
Georgian Court University will have the following Blackboard products:
- Blackboard Learn, the Learning Management System;
- Backboard Collaborate, an online video and voice collaboration tool already in use at GCU; however the new license allows for all faculty to use Collaborate freely;
- Blackboard Analytics, a data information system to support teaching, learning and retention;
- Safe Assign, an embedded plagiarism detection package;
- Blackboard e-portfolio, a product embedded in Learn to support assessment;
- Blackboard Connect, an email and text emergency notification system.
LMS Implementation Task Force
- Steve Carol, CIO, Co-Chair
- Jeff Donnelly, Systems Librarian, Co-Chair
- Mary Chinery, Assistant Provost
- Janice Warner, Dean, School of Business
- Kathy Marino, Director of Instructional Technology
- Sari Alshiekh, Instructional Technology Support
- Bill Bishop, Assistant Professor of Geography
- Gina Marcello, Assistant Professor of Communication
- Stefannie Nicholson, graduate student representative
- Chelsea Sikora, undergraduate student representative
Faculty Mentors: Faculty
mentors are trained to support department and school colleagues. They will be
teaching with Blackboard Learn from Fall 2014. Mentors volunteered for this role
to their deans as requested by the Provost. The deadline to volunteer was in
spring 2014. Thank you, Faculty Mentors!
- Mary-Paula Cancienne, Assistant Professor Religious Studies
- Jamie Donnelly, Systems Librarian
- Jeff Donnelly, Associate Librarian
- Gloria Edwards, Associate Professor of Business
- Cathleen McQuillen, Assistant Professor; Chairperson of Undergraduate Programs
- Bertram Okpokwasili, Associate Professor of Business Administration
- Stephanie Rahill, Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Louise Wootton, Professor of Biology
- Mary Chinery, Assistant Provost
- Janice Warner, Dean of the School of Business
Suggested training schedule: when faculty should plan to attend
- June and August training for August 25, 2014 fall pilot in BbL
- October through December for January 20, 2015 spring pilot in BbL
- February through March 2015 for summer 2015 teaching (all 2015 summer courses will be taught in BbL)
- Spring or summer training 2015 for August 2015 fall courses - everyone else, and all new faculty
Training will be offered in multiple formats: choose the format that suits you best
updates to the training schedule will be posted often.
- Kathy Marino, Director or Instructional Technology (in person)
- Faculty enrollment in online modules (online workshop taught by Bb trainers)
- Bb onsite training: 2 days of training expected to be offered in spring 2015 and summer 2015 (in person)
- Self-paced training using BbL materials and videos (online, self-paced)
- Small group open sessions intended for in person discussions
- Open Lab days with Kathy Marino and Sari Alshiekh will be available for drop in questions or if faculty want to work on their classes with some professional support.
- We ask that you also complement Open Lab time with one of the above training modalities.
Blackboard Learn Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about Blackboard Learn
The following resources will be available for students in the fall. The Implementation Task Force will be advised by students on the team.
- Student Newspaper article fall 2014
- Student Training Sessions
- Student Online Self-Paced Training Modules provided by Blackboard
Please direct any Blackboard transition questions to Steve Carol or Jeff Donnelly.