Georgian Court University Receives “Save America’s Treasures” Grant
Lakewood, N.J., May 2, 2011—Georgian Court University has received a $200,000 grant from the Department of the Interior, National Park Service (NPS) through the Save America’s Treasures (SAT) grant program. The funds will assist the university in preserving and rehabilitating portions of its historic Mansion, located on GCU’s main campus in Lakewood.
The Save America's Treasures federal grant program is administered by the National Park Service in partnership with the President's Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the Institute of Museum and Library Services. With these funds, agencies and organizations like Georgian Court University are working to conserve significant U.S. cultural and historic treasures, which illustrate, interpret, and are associated with great events, ideas, and individuals that contribute to the nation’s history.
The Mansion is one of many structures created on the former estate that was built by financier George Jay Gould at the turn of the 20th century and bought by the Sisters of Mercy in 1924. Constructed in 1897, the Mansion, a campus showpiece, reflects the grandeur of the Goulds’ Gilded Age.
Its soaring Great Hall is host to many special events for the university, from honor society induction ceremonies to fund-raising gatherings and theatrical shows. Formal dining and music rooms provide meeting spaces, and the glass-roofed conservatory now serves as a luminous chapel.
The Save America’s Treasures Grant helps fund roof restoration projects on the north, east, and west elevations of the Mansion. Overall, the project includes work on the wood and copper lined gutters; replacement of copper leaders; repair and restoration of the wood cornice, dormers, wood moldings, balusters and trim at the roof projections; replacement of finials to match the originals; and replacement of metal roofing sections to match the originals in material and detail.
Similar work was completed on the south side of the Mansion in 2007. Additional restoration work to the north, east, and west elevations will complete the work, and will further secure and weatherproof the 104-year-old building.
Founded in 1908 and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, Georgian Court University is a comprehensive university with a strong liberal arts core and a special concern for women. A forward-thinking university that supports diversity and academic excellence, Georgian Court serves nearly 3,000 students of all faiths and backgrounds in a residential Women's College and a coeducational University College with undergraduate and graduate programs. Georgian Court's main campus is located at 900 Lakewood Avenue, Lakewood, N.J., on the picturesque former George Jay Gould estate, now named a National Historic Landmark. Georgian Court also offers classes at its site at One Woodbridge Center in Woodbridge, at Coastal Communiversity in Wall, and at Cumberland County College in Vineland.
# # #