For Immediate Release
GCU to Present Lecture on Barrier-Breaking Female Architect
Hearst Castle Architect Julia Morgan Impacted Her Field and the Women’s Movement
Lakewood, N.J., Mar. 1, 2007—The San Simeon estate, commonly known as Hearst Castle, in San Simeon, California, is a mammoth construction of more than 90,000 square feet. Architect Julia Morgan and publishing magnate William Randolph Hearst collaborated for over 28 years to build a “castle” that would rival those in Europe, at a time when the architecture field was almost closed to women. Join Claire Gallagher, Ed.D., GCU associate professor of education and architect, on Wednesday, March 21, at 6:30 p.m. as she speaks about Julia Morgan’s impact not only on her craft, but on the women’s movement.
The program is presented as part of GCU’s Values in Action series, which includes presentations, films, lectures, and discussions that reflect the university’s core values of respect, integrity, justice, compassion, and service. This free program will take place in the Little Theatre on Georgian Court’s Lakewood campus. Reservations are required. For more information and reservations, please contact the Office of Conferences and Special Events at732.987.2263 or email@example.com.
About Julia Morgan:
Born in San Francisco and raised across the bay in Oakland, California, Julia Morgan became one of the first women to graduate from the University of California with a degree in civil engineering in 1894. Two years later, she traveled to Paris to study at the famous École des Beaux-Arts, but was denied admission for another two years because women had never been allowed to study there. She persuaded the administration to admit her after winning nearly every prestigious architecture competition in Europe. In 1919, she was hired by William Randolph Hearst to design Hearst Castle (now a California State Park).
Other public Women’s History Month programs include “Great Women of Art,” part of GCU’s Conversations across Time series, on March 15 at 6:30 p.m.; and “Feminine Spirituality,” part of GCU’s Women of Witness series, on March 19 at 6:30 p.m. All programs take place at GCU’s Lakewood campus. For more information and reservations for all events, please contact the Office of Conferences and Special Events at 732.987.2263 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Founded in 1908 and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, Georgian Court University is a comprehensive university with a strong liberal arts core and a special concern for women. A forward-thinking university that supports diversity and academic excellence, Georgian Court serves over 3,000 students of all faiths and backgrounds in a residential Women's College and a coeducational University College with undergraduate and graduate programs. Georgian Court's main campus is located at 900 Lakewood Avenue, Lakewood, N.J., on the picturesque former George Jay Gould estate, now named a National Historic Landmark. Georgian Court also offers classes at its site at 90 Woodbridge Center Drive in Woodbridge and at Coastal Communiversity in Wall and Cumberland County College in Vineland.
# # #