Scott H. Bennett, Ph.D.
History, Geography & Political Sci Dept
|Vita(PDF): Scott Bennett
- Ph.D. History (1998): Rutgers University
- M.A. Educational Administration (1990): College of New Jersey
- M.A. History (1985): Florida State University
- B.A. History/Secondary Education (1976): University of Central Florida
- Antiwar Dissent & Peace Activism in World War I America: A Documentary Reader, co-edited (Nebraska University Press, in press).
- Igal Roodenko: Conscientious Objector and Nonviolent Activist--From the “Good War” through the Cold War (to be published by Fordham University Press, forthcoming).
- Army GI, Pacifist CO: The World War II Letters of Frank and Albert Dietrich, edited with 62 pp. archival-based introduction (Fordham University Press, 2005).
- Radical Pacifism: The War Resisters League and Gandhian Nonviolence in America, 1915-1963 (Syracuse University Press, 2003).
- Chapters, Articles & Reviews
- “Conscience, Comrades, & the Cold War: The Korean War Draft Resistance Cases of Socialist Pacifists David McReynolds and Vern Davidson.” In Peace & Change 38 (January 2013), 83-120.
- “American Pacifism, the ‘Greatest Generation,’ and World War II.” Chapter in Kurt Piehler & Sidney Pash, ed., The United States and the Second World War: New Perspectives on Diplomacy, War, and the Homefront (Fordham University Press, 2010), pp. 259-92.
- “‘Free American Political Prisoners’: Pacifist Activism and Civil Liberties, 1945-1948.” In Journal of Peace Research 40 (July 2003): 413-433.
- “Workers/Draftees of the World Unite! Carlos A. Cortez Redcloud Koyokuikatl: Soapbox Rebel, WWII CO, & IWW Artist/Bard.” In Victor Sorell, ed., Carlos A. Cortez Koyokuikatl: Soapbox Rebel & Artist (Chicago: Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum, 2002), pp. 12-56.
- “Radical Pacifism and the General Strike Against War: Jessie Wallace Hughan, the Founding of the War Resisters League, and the Socialist Origins of Secular Radical Pacifism in America.” In Peace & Change 26 (July 2001): 352-373.
- “Socialist Pacifism and Nonviolent Social Revolution: The War Resisters League and the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.” In Peace & Change 25 (January 2000): 102-128.
- Delivered nearly 4-dozen scholarly & public presentations
- Authored nearly 2-dozen scholarly book chapters, articles, and reviews.
- U.S. History Survey I & II
- Gilded Age & Progressive Era
- Age of FDR
- America Since 1945
- Vietnam & America
- American Peace Movement
- Gandhi, King, & Beyond: Global Nonviolent Social Movements
- Biography & Social Justice: Radicals & Reformers in U.S. History
- American Foreign Relations Since 1898
- Europe in War, Peace, & Revolution, 1914-1945
- History Seminar I & II
- Pacifism & Nonviolence; Social Reform Movements; American Radicalism
- Fulbright Award. (Senior Professorship in American Culture, Leiden University, The Netherlands, Spring 2014)
Service to the University:
- Faculty advisor, Phi Alpha Theta (History Honor Society)
- Honors Advisory Council
- Editorial Board, Georgian Court Magazine
- Have served on numerous committees