Johann Vento, Ph.D.
Arts & Science, 144
Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 9-11 am and by appointment
Religious Studies/Theology Department
- Ph.D. in Theology, Fordham University, Bronx, New York
- M.A. in Theology,Washington Theological Union, Washington, District of Columbia
- B.A. in English and German, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- “Feminism and Inter-religious dialogue in the New Political Theology,” Horizons, 34 (Fall 2007).
- “Not in Vain: Metz’s Memory of Suffering and the Problem of Violence Against Women,” In Missing God: Cultural Amnesia and Political Theology, ed. John K. Downey, Jürgen Manemann, and Steven Ostovich, Lit Verlag, 2006.
- “Forgiveness and Violence Against Women,” Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies 6:1 (January 2003).
- “Violence, Trauma, and Resistance: A Feminist Appraisal of Metz’s Mysticism of Suffering unto God,” Horizons 29 (Spring 2002).
- “The Challenge of Feminism,” in Sacred Adventure: Beginning Theological Study, ed. William C. Graham, Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 1999.
- Invincible Spirits: A Thousand Years of Women’s Spiritual Writings, by Felicity Leng , Catholic Books Review. Available at http://CatholicBooksReview.org.
- Christine de Pizan and Biblical Wisdom: A Feminist-Theological Point of View by Bonnie A. Birk. Catholic Books Review. Available at http://CatholicBooksReview.org.
- Forgiveness and Abuse: Jewish and Christian Reflections, by Marie M. Fortune and Joretta L. Marshall, Editors. Catholic Books Review. Available at http://CatholicBooksReview.org.
- Limits of Liberation: Feminist Theology and the Ethics of Poverty and Reproduction, by Elina Vuola . Catholic Books Review. Available at http://CatholicBooksReview.org.
- Out of the Depths. Women's Experience of Evil and Salvation, by Ivone Gebara. Catholic Books Review. Available at http://CatholicBooksReview.org.
- Jesus in Solidarity with his People: A Theologian Looks at Mark, by William Reiser. Cistercian Studies Quarterly 37.2 (2002): 214-215.
- Christian Tradition
- Women and Religion
- Shaping Lives: Women and Gender
- Religion in America
- Research and methodology in Theology
- Chrisitian Community
- Theology of Women
- Christian Formation
- Pastoral responses to Family Violence
- Theologies of suffering as they relate to theological anthropology
- Theologies of the body
- Mysticism and advocacy theologies
Service to the University
- Department Chair and Directory of Graduate Program in Theology
- Arts and Humanities Curriculum Committee
- Mercy Institute Planning Committee
Past Committee Work:
- Mission Integration Advisory Board
- Mission Integration Board Committee
- Service Learning Task Force
- Curriculum Committee
- New Student Orientation
- Faculty Concerns, Secretary
- President’s Resource and Allocation Advisory Board
- Faculty Development Task Force
- Mercy Core Values Task Force
- Chair, Middle States Self Study Working
- Faculty Advisor, Catholic Relief Services Fair Trade Ambassador Program
- Faculty Advisor, Play of the Mind