- Dissociated Identities: Ethnicity, Religion, and Class in an Indonesian Society. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. 1993.
- The Early Years of a Dutch Colonial Mission: The Karo Field. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1990.
- Indonesian Religions in Transition. Rita Smith Kipp and Susan Rodgers, eds. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1987.
- Beyond Samosir: Recent Studies of the Batak Peoples of Sumatra. Rita Smith Kipp and Richard D. Kipp, eds. Athens: Ohio University Center for International Studies Southeast Asia Program, 1983.
- Recent Articles:
- Freud Reads A Village Childhood. PsyArt, July 18, 2012. Link
- Two Views of the Minahasa, or, Whatever Happened to the Poor Heathen Bush Natives. Journal of Asian Studies,63:597-624, 2005.
- Indonesia in 2003. Asian Survey 44:62-69, 2004.
- The Nationalist Credentials of Christian Indonesians and the Legacy of Colonial Racism. Itenerario 27, 3/4:81- 111, 2003.
- Cultural Anthropology
- Asian Studies
Service to the University:
- Leadership of Arts and Sciences