School of Education: Council for Exceptional Children
Inspired by the resolve of Catherine McAuley, foundress of the Sisters of Mercy, to be good today, but better tomorrow, the members of the Georgian Court University Student Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Chapter are committed to help build a better tomorrow by applying knowledge and expertise in the area of special education to assist individuals with disabilities.
The members of the Georgian Court University CEC Club serve individuals with disabilities with respect, integrity, justice, and compassion while providing voluntary services and promoting educational programs that inform individuals about disabilities. The CEC Club also cultivates future leaders in the education of youth with disabilities and encourages individuals to work with persons with disabilities and become part of the education profession. The CEC Club achieves this mission by sponsoring and participating in awareness programs, service activities, professional development, and fund raisers.
The CEC Club plans a minimum of one activity each month during the Fall and Spring semesters. Specific activities vary each year but generally include awareness programs, service activities, professional development, and fund raisers. In the past, the GCU CEC Club has:
- assisted in sponsoring campus-wide DisABILITY Awareness events,
- hosted dances for members of the Arc of Ocean County,
- voluntarily read research on a weekly basis to a retired school principal with vision loss,
- donated gifts to needy families,
- financially sponsored two CEC Club members service mission to Honduras,
- participated in Autism walk-a-thons,
- attended regional, statewide, and national professional conferences, and
- raised funds through GCUs annual Family Day.
To join the GUC CEC Club, contact the clubs faculty advisor, Dr. Lindiwe Magaya, at email@example.com. Provide your name, email address, and national CEC membership number.
There are several ways to join the national CEC organization (visit the CEC website at www.cec.sped.org).
Attendance at club meetings and some form of participation in each monthly activity is required to maintain active membership status.