B.A. in Communication
The B.A. in Communication program is designed to provide students with a foundation in the theory and practice of communication in our everyday lives. The mission of communication is to prepare students to be effective, culturally literate, ethical communicators. To this end, the program emphasizes the mastery of applied skills grounded in communication theory and pursued within a framework of both traditional liberal arts and communication studies. Students have the opportunity to concentrate their interest in print, electronic, and/or broadcast media, as well as public relations and organizational communication. The program graduates creative individuals who think critically, communicate effectively, and act responsibly in our society. Given the fundamental role of the communication arts in our diverse global society, students will have unlimited potential to make an impact in commerce, politics, education, health fields, or creative ventures. The major sequence requires 42 credits, including an internship-based Senior Seminar.
The major in communication:
- Exposes students to the fundamental concepts of mass and personal communications;
- Builds skills in writing, speaking, and critical thinking that are necessary to succeed in professions within and outside of the major field;
- Develops ethical and socially responsible understanding in communication;
- Provides students with theoretical foundations that will ground future practice;
- Provides students a variety of updated practices that model real-world experience;
- Prepares students to work in a variety of fields associated with the profession and for further study in the field;
- Promotes interdisciplinary approaches to learning; and
- Increases our ties with outside local and state communities and provides a service to those whose needs for such a program are unmet at the present time.
Convergent Journalism - This concentration focuses on convergent journalism: a combination of writing skills, video and audio production, Web, and multimedia formats. It is designed to give students the best of all worlds in terms of journalism, editing, production, and Web design.
Public Relations - This concentration focuses on skills that foster communication between an organization and its publics. It is designed to develop students' strengths in writing, public speaking, organizational skills, and the establishment of working relationships.
Minor in Communication
The Communication minor consists of six core courses from the BA in Communication. It can be taken by any major and is especially recommended to those in Business, Education, Graphic Design & Multimedia, and Modern Languages.
Where our students have interned…
Polo Ralph Lauren
The Living Room
Star News Group
Star 99.1 FM
Big Brothers, Big Sisters
Sports in the USA
WOBM 92.7 FM
The Courier Newspaper
Press Communications LLC
Strand Ventures Inc.
Seaside Heights Business Improvement District
Ocean Medical Center
Howell Chamber of Commerce
wRat Radio 95.9 FM
Office of Congressman Chris Smith